Don't put your life on the line
* Never fish
by yourself – stay in sight of another person fishing
* Inform others of your plans and carry a mobile phone.
* Wear light clothing – it will allow you to swim easily
if you are washed in
* Check tides and weather – avoid fishing in dangerous conditions
and observe tide changes.
* Wear appropriate footwear – with non-slip soles –
and avoid the waters edge.
* Wear a life jacket or PFD and carry safety equipment in case
someone should fall in.
* Observe first – fish later – spend time watching
the fishing spot before actually fishing
* Plan an escape route – if washed in, stay calm and swim
AWAY from the rocks to look for a safe place to come ashore or
stay afloat and wait for help
* Don’t ever turn your back on the sea
* Ask advice from locals
YOU WITNESS SOMEONE BEING WASHED INTO THE OCEAN, follow the simple
* DO NOT jump in if someone is washed into the water
* Use a rope, Angel Ring close by, something that floats to rescue
* Dial 000, or 112, from your mobile or go get help
MORE INFORMATION ON ROCK FISHING SAFETY, INCLUDING TRANSLATED
MATERIAL, MORE FACT SHEETS AND FREE DOWNLOADS VISIT: