documents linked below can be found here
many years now the history of Tuross has been kept by various residents
around the village.
Mostly in the form of memories and old photos.
Be sure to explore the photos as there are many photographed documents
in their archives
page will hopefully now bring all these memories and photos into a single
always this is a never ending project so look in from time to time to
see to see what is new.
learning about our local history with our fun and informative
George Bass plus George
Bass Wiki page
Bass and Flinders
Flinders at Montague Island
In the morning, we steered along the shore; and saw eight or nine
miles from the south point of Bateman's Bay, a small opening like
a river running south-westward. It was here that Mr. Bass found
a lagoon with extensive salt swamps behind it. At noon, the east
point of the opening bore N. ¼ W. seven miles, and the
top of Mount Dromedary was visible about the haze.
Soon after noon. land was in sight to the S. S. E., supposed to
be the Point Dromedary of captain Cook's chart; but, to my great
surprise, it proved to be an island not laid down, though lying
near two leagues from the coast. The whole length of this island
is about one mile and a quarter, north and south; the two ends
are a little elevated, and produce small trees; but the sea appeared
to break occasionally over the middle part. It is probably frequented
by seals, since many were seen in the water whilst passing at
the distance of two miles. This island, I was afterwards informed,
had been seen in the ship Surprise, and honoured with the name
History of the Tuross and Bodalla area
By Helen Townend
“voices from the past”, the Bodalla Estate book is
an extraordinarily valuable historical record of the development
and establishment of the dairy industry in early Australian European
history through to modern times.
story begins with TS Mort’s 1860 decision to establish a
single vast integrated dairy farming estate & butter &
cheese manufacturing enterprise over 50,000 acres of land at Bodalla.
A series of eye-witness documents, quoted exactly as written at
a particular time, describe in detail how this huge estate was
established, the landscape, buildings, workers, practices, regulations,
facilities etc & the difficulties and successes of daily milking
& cheese making.
in 1860, the original reports continue through the years to the
final outcome for the “Bodalla Estate” in 1989. This
book provides a rare opportunity to present to the reader an accurate
a view of history as is possible.
from the Moruya & District Historical Society Inc.
85 Campbell St Moruya 2537
$25 + $10 postage & handling
available at Tuross Head Post Office and the Moruya Book Shop
All proceeds from sales of this book have been dedicated to the
Moruya & District Historical Society
Trade and Resources of the districts served by the Moruya River."
Report to the Legislative Assembly of NSW by Stanley Alexander,
Examiner of Public Works Proposals. Report written December 1891.
Some Old Maps and Plans;
Hawdon - Boat Alley
and maybe visit the Land Titles Office and look at the old Parish
of CONGO plans via this
for a map of some historic photo locations around Tuross click
Mr. Collingridge's interesting article on the way original names
have become changed and perverted, in the "S.M.H." some
few Saturdays back, one is drawn to comment on the native names
of Australia which have lost, or are losing, their proper pronunciation,
and therefore their significance
has a list of names which old residents will indignantly correct
when they hear them mispronounced to-day. It would be well, when
these older residents know of erroneous pronunciations, if they
would notify them at the local lands offices. not necessarily
for official correction, but that a record of these things may
be, as far is possible, preserved while there is yet time.
On the South
Coast there are many names which are becoming entirely altered
from their original pronunciation. For Instance. Kiama was always
pronounced Ki-amma. never Ki-arma, as so often nowadays. Narooma,
that spot favoured by motorists, is both spelled and pronounced
incorrectly. In the old days it was spelt "Noorooma."
and pro-nounced Noor-rma. the last two syllables being slurred
together in that peculiar way the blacks have, and the accent
was abso- lutely on the first syllable. Bodalla, when firm taken
up by John Hawdon, was called Botally by the blacks, the accent
again on the first syllable, and has gradually become Bodalla
by later residents. Punkally has become Punkalla, while Trunkatabilly
is now put on the maps as Trunkatabella.
Kyla Park, another of the Hawdon holdings, has
become on the map Coila, a particularly ugly perversion, probably
attained by assigned Irish servants of the family