War Memorial Church of
St Andrew at Tuross Head (source)
11th February 1973
services in Tuross Head were held in the Progress Hall for many
years, then transferred to St David's Presbyterian Church where
they were held until St Andrew's was built in 1972 - 3. Mr Eric
Ryall, of Tuross Head, had given a block of land in Craddock Road
and in his will he bequeathed $2000 and a pedal organ for the
A Ladies Guild was formed and fund-raising functions were organised,
and donations were given by the members of the congregation and
visiting friends. The church building was begun in 1972 and completed
in January 1973 at a cost of $7,089. The first service was held
in the church on 26th January. As the building was free of debt,
the Bishop of Canberra and Goulburn, the Rt Revd C A Warren, consecrated
the church on Sunday 11th February 1973.
Pews came from the old Nerigundah church and were restored by
Canon C Luders assisted by the wardens, A. Aycliffe, J McCoy and
E. Horne and the Rev Charles Weeler
Altar rails also came from Nerigundah. The pulpit, made by the
husband of Mrs Jessie Miller, was given by her in memory of her
husband. Altar, lectern and prayer desk were from St Matthew’s,
Milperra, via Mrs Noel Phillips. They had been stored at the home
of Mrs Betty Turner and she had begun renovation. The organ was
also stored there.
Mr and Mrs Noel Phillips gave two sets of burse and veil. Ladies’
Guild gave another set and book marks for all seasons of the church.
The altar cloth and the credence table cloth were made and given
by Mrs Muriel Luders. The brass cross was given by Mr and Mrs
Noel Phillips to St Luke’s, East Hills, then presented to
St Andrew’s. Mr Arthur Marshall made the hymn board from
a leaf of his dining-room table. Mr McDonald of Sydney, gave the
font pedestal via Mr and Mrs E Horne. The bowl on top was made
from the blade of a propeller and donated by Mrs M Cox who also
gave the lectern bible. The candlesticks were made by Canon Luders
from camphor laurel timber from Bodalla. Ladies’ Guild provided
hymn and prayer books.
In 1978 an electronic organ replaced the reed organ which would
have been too costly to repair. Mrs M McCoy gave new altar rails
in memory of her husband, John, a foundation warden. Mr and Mrs
Bob Audler donated the timber and the rails were made and installed
by Mr Charlie Facer at no cost. In 1982 kneelers were donated
by Mr and Mrs Bob Holden in memory of Mr Holden’s mother
of Parramatta, a frequent worshipper at St Andrew’s. The
kneelers were made and installed by Mr Lance Bingham.
By 1986 the church was found to be too small for the number of
worshippers and was extended in the following year. A vestry was
included. The money was raised by functions and donations. The
original chalice and patten were given by Mr and Mrs Arthur Ayliffe
in memory of Mr Ayliffe’s parents. A second set was given
by Sir James and Lady Willis in memory of Mrs Mary Cox, organist
for many years. Mrs Hilda Horne donated the brass candlesticks
in memory of her husband, Ted, a foundation warden of St Andrew’s.
More pews were installed in the church extension. They came from
Nelligen and were renovated by Sir James Willis. Extra hymn and
prayer books were given by the Ladies’ Guild and members
of the congregation as memorials.
For a number of years, including during the building of the church,
Tuross Head was ‘temporarily transferred to the parish of
Bodalla for working purposes’. With the creation of the
new parish of Batemans Bay, Tuross Head was returned to the parish
of Moruya in January 1982.
In 1988 it was again necessary to enlarge the church. This was
done in early 1988 by extending the sanctuary end and doubling
the size of the church. Again this was done completely free of
debt, thanks to donations from members of St Andrew’s congregation,
St Andrew’s Ladies’ Guild and visiting friends.
The next project was the provision of a much-needed sink and plumbing
in the vestry. Then some time later cupboards and a wardrobe were
The vision and dedicated giving, both money and labour, of so
many church members and friends over the years is represented
in the building and fittings we have today. It is a continuing
process. There is still much to be done and, as always, with God’s
help it will be done. We have been extremely blessed in all our
efforts and are very proud of our dear church. Thanks to everyone
for their prayers and generosity.
In recent years the Ayliffe family donated a prayer book for the
altar in memory of their mother, Evelyn and a sanctuary lamp in
memory of Arthur Joseph Aycliffe. Hilda Horne’s grand-daughter,
Amanda, had one of the altar candlesticks engraved in memory of
her grandmother and also donated a new pew.. A ramp was built
at the entrance to the church for easier access. Another new pew
was purchased from donations by members of the congregation in
memory of loved ones. Skylights were provided by the Ladies’
Guild and also new blinds for the windows behind the altar. Graham
Jackson made a second prayer desk to match the original, dedicated
Recently a retractable screen has been installed to allow the
use of a digital projector during services. Also a piano has been
donated by Sheila and Beattie Monahan.
Much of this history was compiled by Mrs Hilda Horne, a foundation
member of St Andrew’s and an untiring worker for the church
over several decades.
1862 there have been two St John's churches in the present grounds.
The first was a wooden structure, used as both a church and a
church school. By 1886 it had become no longer serviceable and,
in 1890, work began on a new brick and stone building alongside
the old one.
The new church was designed by Arthur Blackett, son of the well-known
architect Edmund Blackett. He was very particular about the
appearance of the church, particularly in relation to the shape
of the roof and the buttresses. His original plan included a cot
for one or two bells and an organ chamber, both of which he agreed
to omit because of financial constraints.
The granite foundation stone on the north-east corner was obtained
from the quarry at Pompey Point and laid by Mrs Emilie Mort on
29th October 1890.
Building was completed in April 1891 and the church was opened
free of debt. It was dedicated to divine worship on 5th April
1891 and consecrated on 26th April 1893
a registered "heritage" building.